Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tired, But Happy

I am so tired. It is almost 11, and I'm about falling asleep on the couch. BUT, it's a fulfilling sense of being exhausted. Fulfilling because the exhaustion comes from a day of being active, and more specifically, a day of doing something I love!

Today was my first "real" day of nannying. I've sat for these kids twice before today, but today was the first day of 3 days in a row. After 2 weeks of not seeing them at all, today marked the beginning of regularly-scheduled trips to Redmond. Still, it feels temporary, because I still have both of their two children, whereas during the school year, I will only have one full-time.

However, the family is wonderful, and the kids are sweet. The older one, a boy, is 8 and talks non stop. He has a fun spirit though, and is good-natured. If a child's only fault is that they talk a lot and ask questions... there are ways to deal with that easily enough. The younger one is not yet 2, and she is a sweetheart! She's fairly serious, but has a cute little giggle and is the most ticklish child I've ever met! She's very good and just learning to talk, so I'm still learning how to decipher what she's saying. But she is a joy to take care of. And she LOVES her big brother and thinks the things he does are just so funny. It is so cute.

I don't want to be a nanny for the rest of my life, but I'm moving in the direction of early childhood education, because I love kids! Today I came home tired and with a headache, but feeling quite "full," so to speak. I don't know what to say other than that I'm looking forward to going back tomorrow. I'm not quite sure how to entertain my 8-year-old tomorrow, but hopefully we'll come up with something. :)

Of course, any ideas of ways to entertain BOTH an 8-year-old boy AND a 2-year-old girl would be appreciated by me. And them.

And as an afterthought, I don't think I will ever have the strength to cloth-diaper my child(ren). Explosively poopy diapers are gross enough, but when you have to work with the poop instead of tossing the mess away, its too much for me! I was almost convinced about the advantages of cloth diapers until that happened today.

No comments: