Monday, August 27, 2012

A New Soultion?

Just over two months from now, I will be turning 25. My biggest frustration is not my lack romantic relationships or financial independence, but that I have no idea what it feels like to have clear skin. Something inside me grates every time I hear someone my age say, "Ugh, I have such a huge zit!" when I can't see it, but see my own speckled, red-patched face and think, "just one? How lucky." I've tried nearly everything to fix it, various topical creams and ointments, various oral antibiotics and other medications. Clinique, Proactiv, Arbonne, and every skincare system recommended by celebrities and makeup stores.

Most of the results fell into one of three categories: it tortured my sensitive skin (Proactiv), it gave me undesirable side effects (oral antibiotics) or was too expensive with too little result (Arbonne). Though some people have suggested Accutane, I heard a couple horror stories about that product and at one point had a doctor who refused to prescribe it, so I decided to steer clear (no pun intended) of it. Most recently, I relied on a regiment of birth control to control hormone-related flare ups, Clinique face wash and toner on a limited basis, (too frequent uses burns off a layer of my skin, or so it seems), and small dabs of a topical gel for those pimples that really pester. The problem? My acne never really goes away, I have to be careful of how often I really cleanse, and the pills are making me gain weight (also bad for my self-esteem, in some ways worse because I can't cover my "love handles" with makeup!).

So, when a Google Offer came through for this new-to-me product line called "ClariSea," I had to check it out. For $20 I got $45 worth of product, which is the price of their starter set, though I did add the accessories, so I had to pay about $10+shipping extra.

ClariSea says they're 100% natural, made up of a sea and mineral salt formula. No harsh chemicals like benzoyl peroxide (my face's personal nemesis) or salicylic acid (better, but still harsh) and recommended for people with sensitive skin. Some testimonials posted to their website are from people who have tried the same products as me and have gotten the same results. They were also recommended by one of my favorite magazines (now cut out of my life by my college graduate/student loan heavy/teacher pay budget), Real Simple. So I decided to go ahead and try it. Bought the Google Offer and ordered the product.

Now here we go. How will it work? Will my skin clear up? Enough to forgo my other medications? What's it like to use a skin-care system based on sea and mineral salts? For how long can I hold my breath under water? These are questions I hope to answer in the coming weeks as I use this product!

The starter set comes with a large container of salt. They recommend dissolving it in lukewarm water for a face soak or mixing a bit of water in and using it as a scrub. They warn sensitive skin people like me to NOT do the latter use, so a soak it is for me. Also included is a daily clarifying scrub and a clay mask to use once or twice a week. The accessories are not what you might expect: a large collapsible bowl, to soak your face, and a snorkel and ear plugs, in case you want to soak your body and face in the bath. My sister's eyes bugged out pretty funny when I pulled the snorkel out of the box. She started, "Is that a...?" "Snorkel?" I finished for her. "No, but really, what is it?" she asked. Yes, really, it is a snorkel. And don't forget the ear plugs.

I started using ClariSea tonight. Following the instructions, I soaked my face, then stopped halfway through to use the clarifying scrub, and then finished my soak. It says to do this about three times a week. I'll use the mask on a night I don't soak. So far, my suggestions: do it before bed or a shower, because its impossible to not soak some of your hair as well. The idea of walking around with salt water hair doesn't appeal to me. Also, don't lick your lips when you come up for air. Tastes like the ocean.

How is it so far? My face feels clean and fresh, not like it's tightening up or drying out too much. While it was a weird experience, it also had kind of a calming effect. I could just relax and soak in the warm water. I bet soaking in the bath would be even more calming.

I'm pleased so far! But it still remains to be seen if this is a real solution.

By the way, in case you didn't pick up on this, I am in no way compensated by ClariSea. Unless of course I get some beautiful skin out of the deal! But I'm not being paid, or being supplied with complimentary products. I wasn't asked to do this. They probably don't even know about me! This is all me, all real.

No comments: