I started compiling a list of things I want to accomplish, not before I die, but just when I snag a spare moment. Now the list has grown too long to keep mentally, so it's time to record it somewhere I can remind myself. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a "list of things I failed to do," recorded for all the world to witness and judge me by.
In no particular order (numbered because I'm on my phone and can't do bullet points--or at least can't figure out how)
1) Visit two dear friends. At minimum--these friends are no longer in California and therefore are harder to get to. I long to have the chance to sit down with them and catch up on their lives and see how they have flourished in their new lives. Of course, there are others I would love to visit with, but these two are at the top of my list because it's been so long.
2) Return to Salt Lake City for a visit. I have friends here as well, but these friends are different. More like mentor-friends and encourage, challenge and refresh me. More like role models than peers, but still dear friends.
3) Learn to play my guitar well. I would love to get to the point where I could play in a church or youth group worship team.
4) Move out of my parents' house! I love my family and this arrangement has gone better than I ever dreamed, but I feel like my growth is somewhat stunted, and that I'm falling behind on life while I have friends who are living on their own, getting married, buying pets and houses, having babies...
5) Learn to sew. I don't need to become proficient enough to sew my own wardrobe, because that is just not realistic. But general mending and being able to create things like tree skirts, table runners, throw pillows... all those things that will come in handy when I accomplish number 4.
6) Take a cake decorating class. I loooove decorating cakes and making them look just fantastic. Cakes always bring so much joy to people. I don't have the desire to make it anything beyond a hobby, but I'm such a perfectionist that if I'm going to do it, I wanna do it well. And all the new techniques I could learn from a class... the ideas are exciting.
7) Learn to cook. Though I'm not married and have no immediate prospects, I'd love to be able to cook a nice meal. It doesn't have to be fancy (cause then I probably wouldn't want to eat it!), but satisfying and delicious.
8) Take an ice skating lesson. I took them when I was young and I'd love to relearn those skills. Not because I have Olympic aspirations (those evaporated long ago) but just so that if people see me skate they don't think I'm lying about past lessons. :)
9) Go to Mariners spring training. I thought for sure this would happen when I went to college in California, but it didn't. I still want to go. Who knows, maybe there I'll meet the love of my life (anyone know if outfielder Michael Saunders is single and available?)
10) PAY OFF MY STUDENT LOANS. This is probably the biggest reason I still live at home. That and the job I love does not pay awesomely well.
11) Attend the GEMS convention summer 2012. I think this will likely happen. But this is also why 1) likely won't happen for awhile. I can only get, and afford, so much time off. And I only get federal holidays off. Those three day weekends might sometime allow for a trip to California or maybe even Salt Lake City, but probably not the Midwest.
I think that's all I have for now. I'm sure there's more, but these are the ones that linger in my head for days on end. The ones where I start planning for them and then get discouraged by how long it will probably be before I can accomplish them. The ones about which I occasionally drift into that dangeemrous thought "If only...I would be so much happier." The ones that I want that may actually be accomplishable. The ones that thrill me, and then terrify me that I might fail.
To be continued... I hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment